Tuesday 17 April 2012

Thought of the moment

Not feeling that social

The interesting thing about social media is that it is designed for the socially minded.  I am not that social.    I like to have my own thoughts wrapped around me, they swirl and change and make interesting patterns.  When I talk to people I can see their faces and the swirling patterns of their thoughts and ideas wrapped around them.

I am struggling with the idea of blogging, even on  a professional level.  The act of sharing my thoughts and writing into the black whole of the internet makes me feel exposed.  Reading the thoughts of others seems like some strange intrusion, like I have sneaked a peak at a diary.

This may not be rational or logical, but it is oddly real.

The Point?

Not everyone wants to share in a public forum.  Over the years we have had students become distressed because we have asked them to tell a little something about themselves and why they want to study horticulture.  For many the idea of using a blog would be helpful - it is remote and removes some aspects of social accountability.  For others, that very remoteness creates a disconnect.  Where is the information going? who can read it? what will people think of me? how will I know?  We work hard to create a safe learning environment in the classroom, and need to work just as hard to create a safe environment for flexible learning.

For some people however, the barriers will persist.


2 comments:

  1. You make some good points Lisa. Hopefully, blogging will provide you with some connection to the class, yet allow you to also keep your distance as needed. The comments that people leave on your blog should give some indication of what people are thinking about your ideas.In my experience most people are diplomatic, and constructive. I guess it takes time to build mutual respect, and to be accepting of others ideas and opinions will help this process.

    It is important that students feel challenged if they are to learn, yet it is not always comfortable, and a safe environment may be necessary to allow some students to 'open up', but it may not work for others. Also, what the teacher perceives to be safe may not be the same as what the student actually needs to motivate them to engage ...so how do we ascertain the best way to support students in their learning? Especially, when they often don't know themselves...until they try perhaps. What do you think - how can we get the balance right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an easy one to answer Bronwyn. What I have learnt over many years is that what excites me, does not always excite other people, and I can say the same for the things that scare me. A little empathy goes a long way - we are all wonderfully diverse.

      The issues of safety, challenge and motivation is more complicated. When do you push, and when do you pull back. The advantage of a face to face class is that you can 'read' students and sometimes adjust an approach accordingly. How do you develop that rapport on-line?

      For me, the question of engagement comes down to one or both of these:

      1 Excitement - does it capture my imagination?
      2 What is the purpose - how can I use this?

      So the question is, what does a student need to become engaged in the subject or task?

      Delete